Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hung out to dry


When I left the office today, smoke was coming out of my ears, I was so steamed. Yesterday, against my better judgement, I listened to my boss and did something I knew I should not have done, but she insisted. Today, the shit hit the fan and our manager sent an email to my boss referring to me as "that new girl", when only 2 hours earlier she passed my desk and said "Hi Tamale, how you doing?" So clearly she was more than a little upset. Now, there is a whole other story about the manager that would explain her reaction to something that in the grand scheme of things was not a crisis, but that would require time and more privacy. Needless to say, my boss sat there and read out the email to me and goes, "What is she talking about?"

Red flag #1.

Later that day I head into the meeting where manager brings up the issue and my boss sits there like a mouse and says nothing. Steam building. She goes on and on about how I am new so she can let it go (it really was not that serious either but this apparently is an issue of sorts) and asks me how I could let it happen. At this point, based on the deafening silence next to me, I turn my head to look at my boss and the silence grows. No response. No "I told her to do it and I insisted she do it". No explanation. No support. No nothing. Tamale - being hung to dry. Steam boiling. The matter was squashed in the end and all was well with the world but all was not well with Tamale and I walked out of there like a pricked bull. And she knew I was damn vex cause she did not come to my desk again for the day, which is rare, and when I was leaving, I only waved and kept pelting down the corridor like a cat out of a pet shop, until she called out to me to ask me if I was alright.

The place is like primary school - no lie. I mean, if I told you what the issue was you would probably be like "that's it?" To hear the woman go on and on about it. But then I can understand why she was a bit miffed cause the day before she told us she does not like things done that way, so when my boss told me to do it, I told her I did not think that was a good idea. I should have stood my ground but she said, "Don't worry. I will handle it." Handle it, my fat ass! Instead I was manhandled! I am really annoyed by this and if she wants to not end up like my last boss - on an eternal shit list - we need to have a conversation in the morning, cause I am a festerer. I let things build and sour, and I just got there. It's not good to let boss issues fester so early on. We will be having a serious chat in the morning about how I do shit. I don't appreciate being hung out to dry like a wet panty after a hurricane!

7 comments:

  1. That sucks, what a biartch! At least you now know how it works there - screw over or be screwed over. Doesn't sound like much fun - perhaps time to start keeping an eye out for your next challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should start keeping a paper trail about what the manager orders you to do. It is clear that you could get caught in the middle again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooooooo glad that I don't have to put up with that office politics crap anymore.

    Just take a deep breath and count to several thousand.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Pasor Larry - document what you can.
    What a coward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats horrible and that kind of stuff is So annoying. Keep notes of that kind of stuff, and next time tell her to do it herself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Straighten her out, keep things documented.

    ReplyDelete